THE BARNA CLARK SPRING Constructed 1896, Ames Hill Road, July 1999
Harriet Barrows constructed this fountain in memory of a friend, Barna Clark, who died here while watering his horse. Her sentiment towards him is engraved in granite, and inlaid in the structure.
The Barna Clark Spring is one of the few distinctly human-made landmarks along the dirt roads of Marlboro (not including buildings, of course). It’s rooted presence on the land which slopes steeply eastward marks a rough approximation of the Marlboro / Brattleboro town line. The fountain’s cold water provides a reward for those climbing up Ames Hill from West Brattleboro without mechanical assistance.
The spring provides a steady flow of water, even in winter, and is located directly across the road from the dwelling site of Marlboro’s first settler, Abel Stockwell. The wealth of water and the leveling off of the land directly to the west of the spring made this an ideal spot for habitation.